Lemon Cake

My love for cake is probably pretty obvious at this point (if you're a regular reader), I love cake more than I love my husband (sorry Tim).

On Saturday I came across a cake stall in my local town. It was only there for the day, providing cakes to an old fashioned car show. The stall was pretty cute and Jo, who bakes and sells the cakes, had a mini pod-style caravan set up as a place for you to climb inside and eat your cake. I'm gutted I didn't get a picture.

Anyway, I digress.

I ate a slice of Jo's lemon cake. I liked it, a lot. I wanted more but at this point I was in the car. And besides, more would have been greedy. I did my arse a favour.

Except I didn't.

Now I have a taste for lemon cake. So I baked one.





In my opinion, lemon cake is the plain Jane of cakes. It doesn't look like much does it? It doesn't catch your eye. It's a pretty humble cake. But by god does it taste AMAZING. Not as good as Jo's, but my version is pretty bloody close.

What you'll need:

125g unsalted butter
175g caster sugar
175g self raising flour
2 large eggs
65ml milk
1tsp baking powder
The grated rind of 2 lemons

3 tsp granulated sugar
The juice of the lemons you used for the rind

Grease and line a loaf tin (mine was a 1kg tin)
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
Put all ingredients into a bowl and electric whisk together until smooth and runny
Pour in to loaf tin and bake for 50 minutes
Once baked, leave to cool
Mix sugar and lemon juice together
Pierce the cake with a skewer and drizzle syrup over loaf

EAT!

Your thighs won't thank me. Sorry.


You can find out more about Jo here.


1 comment:

  1. anything lemon and cake related is always a winner in my book! my favourite cupcakes are lemon and poppy seed, and i LOVE a good old lemon drizzle. might have to try this out for myself..

    ReplyDelete